FRIDAY 29 to SUNDAY 31 October 2021
Heritage Steam and Diesel hauled slow rail cruise
travelling to Wycheproof and Maryborough
for the Wycheproof Cup (Derby Day in the country)
and Maryborough for the Redwood Stakes
We would like to invite you to join 707 Operations on our final steam hauled slow rail cruise for 2021 onboard THE GRAINLANDER for a weekend of unforgettable horse racing excitement. Get ready to get your bets on at the 2021 Wycheproof Cup (Derby Day in the country), and on the return journey, we'll visit Maryborough for the 2021 running of the Redwood Stakes. A weekend of heritage trains and horse racing excitement that will not be easily forgotten!
You'll enjoy classic slow rail cruising with Seven-O-Seven Operations, travelling in heritage sleeping carriages that will be hauled by our vintage steam and diesel locomotives. Make new precious memories that you'll not easily forget and makee new friends on this COVID-Safe weekend slow rail cruise. Book your tickets here.
The hustle and bustle of Melbourne's Southern Cross Station is easing in the evening, however at 10.10 pm THE GRAINLANDER will wake up the station, as the whistle is sounded announcing our departure. Join your fellow travellers and tour organisers in one of two luxury Club Carriages with a welcome aboard drink and evening supper in as we head west toward Ballarat and Maryborough. Retire to your private sleeping cabin for an evening of rest your steam hauled slow rail cruise climbs up the Great Dividing Range through Bacchus Marsh, on through Ballarat and Maryborough during the night.
On Saturday morning, watch the beautiful sunrise over Mallee country as we approach Charlton and Wycheproof. Start Saturday morning with a delightful breakfast served to your compartment as we continue deeper into Victoria's grain belt, or get up close and personal with R 707 at Wycheproof as the locomotives are serviced and provisioned for the short journey ahead to Nullawil. At Nullawil, you'll have the opportunity to detrain, and photograph the train, our diesel engines, and our heritage carriages as it sits under Smug's Nullawil Silo artwork. Sam Bates (Smug) is the artist who transformed the face of the Nullawil silo.
After Nullawil, our steam train returns to Wycheproof where you'll join road coaches and be transferred to the track for the 2021 Wycheproof Cup - Derby Day. As well as the racing action on the track the Elders Mt. Wycheproof Cup caters for all with competitive fashions on the field, free children’s activities, great food outlets and even an art exhibition leading up to the event, Wycheproof comes alive for this action packed day of racing and entertainment. You'll meet back up with the train and your sleeping accomodations later this evening in Wycheproof, just in time for dinner.
Twinette Sleeper Roomette Sleeper Non-AC Twinette WANDO
On Sunday morning, breakfast is served fresh as we commence the our slow rail journey back to Maryborough where you'll transfer to the harness racing complex for the 2021 Redwood Harness Racing Stakes - the premier two-year old harness racing event across Australia and New Zealand. Included at the Redwood stakes day is a 2-course lunch and an afternoon of harness racing. At the conclusion of the racing program, you'll return to the train which will have combined with another special train, for the journey back to Melbourne - Now, our train being 15 carriages will testt he ability of our steam engines driver and fireman as we re-trace our our journey through Ballarat, Bacchus Marsh, Melton to arrive at Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 10.30 pm.
Our heritage train features:
- Cafe Hudson espresso bar
- Licenced Club Carriages Victoria and Lounge Car 708
- Air conditioned restored 1950's carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Breakfasts each morning on train
- A range of travel and sleeping options
- Race package including lunches, race entry and souveniers for Wycheproof and Maryborough races
- Two course dinner on Saturday night in Wycheproof
- Dinner on the train on Sunday evening
We have range of travel options for the trip (weekend trip options include all meals) including:
- The NAM Carriage: Premium Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with private toilet facilities located in each sleeping compartment.
- The LAN Carriage: Premium Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with lounge seat by day and bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shared shower facilities located at the end of the carriage and shared toilet facilities located in this carriage.
- The SJ Carriage: Standard Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with shared toilet facilities in adjoining carriages.
- WANDO Non-Air Conditioned Twinette: in our Edwardian carriage WANDO, private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private wash basin, with shared shower and toilet facilities located in adjoining carriages.
Our train is a COVID-Safe environment in line with Victorian Government requirements, including checkin and contact tracing for all passengers, enhanced cleaning of the train during the trip and refund policies.
Saloon Carriage Seating Compartment Seating
|The NAM Carriage - Premium Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
|The LAN Carraige - Premium Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
|The SJ Carriage - Standard Twinette Sleeper (for two people)||$995 pp|
|WANDO - Non-AC Twinette Sleepter (for two people)||$945 pp|
|Motorcader Donation (1)
(1) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip - donate here. For your donation, we will provide a detailed schedule and tour notes 24 hours prior to departure and SMS updates should the train fall behind schedule in excess of 30 minutes.
Train Travel Times - subjct to confirmation
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
|To Wycheproof - Friday 29 October||From Wycheproof - Sunday 231 October|
|10.10 pm depart
||Southern Cross Station||10.30 pm arrive|
|Bacchus Marsh||9.40 pm|
|1.50 am Saturday
||Ballarat||7.30 - 8.00 pm|
|4.00 am||Maryborough||11.50 am - 6.30pm|
|7.30 am||Charlton||8.45 am|
|8.20 - 9.00 am||Wycheproof|
|9.40 - 10.10 am||Nullawill|
|10.50 am arrive||Wycheproof||8.00 am depart|
Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport Depot.
Download The Grainlander flyer.
Revised: 28 March 2021