Summer Sleepers to the Seaside
Overnight Sleeping Carriage Weekend Tour
Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 February
Beat the summer heat and join our first overnight tour for 2019 with the heritage sleeping carriages as we head to Warrnambool in the South West of Victoria. Warrnambool is the largest coastal town in South Western Victoria with a population of over 25,000 residents, making this region a very popular holiday and tourism destination. The entire Western foreshore is given over to recreation and the shore line of Lady Bay has something for everyone. Whether it be swimming, surfing or fishing, the beach front at Warrnambool is a very popular holiday and tourism destination. Grab your beach towel and bathers and let us and our heritage diesel hauled sleeping carriage train take you on a weekend adventure for this not to be missed. Book your tickets here.
Breakfast will be served on the train following an early morning departure from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 8.40 am, with pick up stops at North Shore Station [9.50 am] and Geelong [10.15 am]. Sit back in one of our lounge carriages or enjoy your comfortable sleeping berth in day sitting mode as we make our way through the changing scenery of Western Victoria.
Shortly after lunch is served on the train, we will arrive at Warrnambool [1.30 pm] with lots of free time for you to enjoy and explorea Don't forget the Sunblock as you leave the train...
- Visit the Warrnambool Art Galley and enjoy the Paul Jennings - UNREAL exhibition. Paul Jennings is one of Australia's best loved storytellers. His books have sold millions of copies, won countless awards, been translated into 18 languages and turned into television series. Paul's career began in Warrnambool where he still lives and works. This is a free exhibition located a short 10 minute walk from the train station.
- Take your dancing shoes for the Warrnambool Country Music Festival at the Civic Green. This event at 4.30 pm will feature an afternoon of country music with two professional guest artists for all to enjoy. This is a free festival located a short 10 minute walk from the train station.
- Visit Flagstaff Hill for the spectacular evening sound and light show with all transfers to and from the train provided as an add on option to the trip ($50.00 per person and must be pre-booked).
A two course dinner is included in your rail fare, and will be served at the Warrnambool RSL (a very short walk from the station). After dinner, why not explore Warrnambool by night before retiring to your private sleeping compartment on board the train.
There is no rush to re-join the train - we don't leave Warrnambool until 2.30am, and you'll get a sound nights sleep on the return journey as the train travels at a reduced speed through townships such as Terang, Camperdown and Colac.
Sun-rise will see our train nearing Geelong, and breakfast is once again served on board before we arrive into Southern Cross station at 9.45am. We hope you didn't get too sun burnt in Warrnambool!
For people who don't wish to stay overnight on the train, we also offer the option of joining the daylight sitting carriage train at Melbourne for a one-way trip to Warrnambool and includes breakfast and lunch on board the train. The train connects with the 5.34 pm V/Line train which and arrives back into Melbourne at 9.10 pm.
Twinette Non AC Twinette
Our heritage train features:
- Cafe Hudson espresso bar
- Licenced Club Carriages Victoria and BK708
- Air conditioned restored 1960's sleeping carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Breakfast each morning (Saturday and Sunday) on board the train
- Lunch on Saturday on board the train.
- A two-course dinner on Saturday in Warrnambool
- A range of travel and sleeping options
We have range of travel options for the trip (with all travel options including two fully cooked breakfasts served on the train, one lunch served on the train and a two-course dinner at a resturant in Warrnambool) including:
- Air-conditioned Twinette: a private sleeping compartment for two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin with toilet facilities located on board.
- Air-conditioned Roomette: a private sleeping compartment for one person with a comfortable lounge seat by day and a single bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shower and toilet facilities located in this carriage.
- Melbourne to Warrnambool one-way in our sitting carriage (connects with the 5.34 pm V/Line service to Melbourne) - fare includes breakfast and lunch on the train.
|Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
||$295 pp (2)|
|Premium Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
||$295 pp (2)|
|Melbourne to Warrnambool one-way
|Motorcader Donation (1)
(1) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip.
(2) Financial members of 707 Operations can save 7% by using discount code 707Member at check-out online. Please note membership numbers will be confirmed on board. A single membership equals one discount fare, a family membership covers those listed on your current membership card.
Train Travel Times - confirmed
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
To Warrnambool - Saturday 9 February
|Depart Melbourne Southern Cross Station
|Arrive Warrnambool (Saturday)
From Warrnambool - Sunday 10 February
|Depart Warrnambool (Sunday)||3.00 am
|Arrive Melbourne Southern Cross Station
Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport depot. Please only join the train at Southern Cross, North Shore or Geelong.
To download Summer Sleepers to the Seaside flyer click here.
To Book Tickets click here.
Created: 7 February 2019