Steam to the 2018 Manangatang Cup
Sleeper Weekend Tour
Friday 12 to Sunday 14 October
707 Operations announces its first steam trip to Manangatang with a Sleeper tour to Mangangatang Friday 12 to Sunday 14 October for the 2018 Manangatang Cup. With the second stage Murray Basin rail standardisation project delayed, join 707 Operations as we take the first R class steam locomotive R707 to Mangangatang with two nights of unique overnight travel along with our heritage diesel train and carriages to Mangangatang and the famous Manangatang Cup. Book your tickets here.
An evening departure from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 10.00 pm, we will begin with a welcome aboard drink and nibbles in our lounge carriages as we head west and northward to Ballarat and Maryborough. Retiring to your sleeping cabin for an evenings rest as we climb up the Great Dividing Range through Bacchus Marsh, on through Ballarat, Maryborough, Dunolly and Inglewood during the night.
With a pre-sun rise stop in Boort and a 30 minute pause in Quambatook around 7.00 am we will head north to Manangatang arriving around 11.30 am. From Manangatang Station, it is a short walk to the Manangatang race track and the 2018 Manangatang Cup for the first race at 1.00 pm (with entry included in your fare). Or add-on shaded seating on the trackside lawns with in our mini marquee or market umbrella seating.
Enjoy a country day out at the races and the evening in the Ladbrokes Big Shed with the live bands before reboarding the train for a 1.00 am departure Sunday morning.
Twinette Roomette Non AC Twinette
Sunday morning wake up to the sound of train travel through Victoria's wheat belt with a 1.00 am departure from Manangatang and breakfast served to your berth as we return toward Melbourne. Departing Maryborough at 9.30 am, our train will arrive back into Southern Cross Station at 4.15 pm via North Geelong with stops at Ballarat and North Shore (Geelong). We also have the option of one-way travel from Maryborough and Ballarat to Melbourne Sunday afternoon.
Our heritage train features:
- Cafe Hudson espresso bar
- Licenced Club Carriages
- Air conditioned restored 1950's carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Continental breakfasts each morning delivered to your berth
- A range of travel and sleeping options
- Lunches on the train
- Light snacks on the train throughout the trip
We have range of travel options for the trip (with all travel options including all meals excluding Saturday dinner, entry to the 2018 Manangatang Cup) including:
- Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with toilet facilities located in adjacent carriages.
- Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with lounge seat by day and bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shower and toilet facilities located at the end of the carriage.
- Non-Air Conditioned Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private wash basin, with toilet facilities located at the end of the carriage and shower facilities in adjacent carriages.
- BYO Compartments ideal for families or groups, each compartment has comfortable seating and adjustable lighting, this option is recommended for up to three persons. BYO pillows and blankets, towels etc - with access available to lounge car, showers and toilets on board.
- Maryborough/Ballarat saloon seats for a one way trip to Melbourne Sunday 14 October, inclduing roast lunch on the train.
Saloon Carraige Seating Compartment Seating
|Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
|Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
|Non-Air Conditioned Twinette (for two people)||$795 pp
|Compartment BYO sleeping gear (for up to 3 people) (1)
|Maryborough/Ballarat to Melbourne - One Way (Sunday)
|Trackside Marquee lawn seating at Manangatang||$49 pp|
|Trackside Market Umbrella seating at Manangatang||$35 pp|
|Motorcader Donation (2)
(1) Compartments sleeps up to 3 people
(2) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip.
Train Travel Times - to be confirmed
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
To Manangatang - Friday 12 October
|Depart Southern Cross Station
|Maryborough||1.55 - 2.55 am
|Boort||5.15 - 6.10 am|
|Quambatook||7.00 - 7.30 am|
|Arrive Manangatang (Saturday)
From Manangatang- Sunday 14 October
|Depart Managatang (Sunday)
||8.15 - 9.00 am|
|North Shore||3.00 pm|
|Arrive Southern Cross Station
Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport Depot.