Farewell to Murrayville Weekend Tour
Friday 21 July to Sunday 23 July
Vintage Rail Travel/707 Operations announces its first weekend tour of 2017 with a farewell tour to the broad gauge Ouyen to Murrayville branch line, Friday 21 July to Sunday 23 July. With the Murray Basin rail standardisation project underway, join 707 Operations as we farewell the branch line to Murrayville with two nights of unique overnight travel with our heritage diesel train and carriages to Murrayville and a weekend away. Book your tickets here.
An evening departure from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 8.45 pm, we will begin with a welcome aboard drink and nibbles in our lounge car as we head northward to Ouyen and on to Murrayville. Retiring to your sleeping cabin for an evenings rest as we climb up the Great Dividing Range through Bacchus Marsh, on through Ballarat, Maryborough and the cropping areas of the Mallee to arrive at Ouyen at 7.00 am Saturday morning.
With a 7.30 am departure from Ouyen, we will head out on the Murrayville branch line for the last broad gauge passenger train to venture on the line. We will have a full cooked breakfast on the train through the morning in the Avoca Dining carriage, arriving into Murrayville around 11.00 am. For Ouyen locals we also have the option of joining the train at Ouyen for the trip to Murrayville with return to Ouyen by bus Saturday 22 July.
For the afternoon we will take a bus tour to Red Cliffs and an excursion on the Red Cliffs Historical Steam Railway on their section of the former Red Cliffs to Morkalla branch line and the 1901 built Kerr Stuart steam locomotive “Lukee”. Before returning towards Murrayville with a stop for a pub dinner and an 10.00 pm departure from Murrayville by train to Ouyen and onto Melbourne.
Twinette Sleeper Roomette Sleeper
Sunday morning wake up to the sound of train travel through the Mallee for a 7.30 am arrival at Maryborough for a cooked breakfast during our 90 minute stop. Departing Maryborough at 9.20 am, our train will arrive back into Southern Cross Station at 2.20 pm via North Geelong with a stop at Ballarat. We also have the option of one-way travel from Maryborough and Ballarat to Melbourne Sunday morning, including lunch.
Our heritage train features:
- Cafe Hudson espresso bar
- Licenced Lounge Car 708
- Air conditioned restored 1950’s carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Full cooked breakfasts each morning in the Avoca Dining Carriage
- A range of travel and sleeping options
- Coach trip to Red Cliffs and the tour on the Red Cliffs Historical Steam Railway
- Two course pub dinner Saturday night
- Light lunch Sunday afternoon on the return journey to Melbourne in the Avoca Dining Carriage
We have range of travel options for the trip (with all travel options including fully cooked breakfast Saturday and Sunday) including:
- Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with toilet facilities located in adjacent carriages.
- Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with lounge seat by day and bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shower located at the end of the carriage and toilet facilities located in adjacent carriages.
- Compartments ideal for families or groups, each compartment has comfortable seating and adjustable lighting, this option is recommended for up to two persons. BYO pillows and blankets, towels etc – with access available to lounge car, showers and toilets on board.
‑ Saloon seating offering comfortable and affordable travel. Featuring our saloon car seats with panoramic window views. BYO Pillows, blankets, towels etc, and enjoy the adventure of overnight travel – with access available to lounge car, showers and toilets on board.
Saloon Carraige Seating Compartment Seating
Book tickets here.
|Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
||$540 pp - Sold Out
|Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
||$540 pp - Sold Out
|Compartment BYO sleeping gear (for up to 2 people) (1)
||$425 pp - Sold Out
|Saloon Seat BYO sleeping gear Adult
||$395 pp - Sold Out
|Saloon Seat BYO sleeping gear Child (4 to 17 years)
||$315 pp - Sold Out
|Ouyen to Murrayville with bus return (Saturday)||$50 pp|
|Maryborough/Ballarat to Melbourne - One Way (Sunday)
|Motorcader Donation (2)
(1) Compartments sleeps up to 2 people
(2) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip.
Train Travel Times - Confirmed
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
To Murrayville - Friday 21 July
|707 Operations Newport Depot||7.30 pm|
|Depart Southern Cross Station||8.40 pm
|Ouyen Arrive||7.10 am|
|Ouyen Depart||7.20 am|
|Arrive Murrayville (Saturday)
From Murrayville - Saturday 22 July
|Depart Murrayville||10.30 pm|
|Maryborough Arrive (Sunday)
|North Geelong||1.00 pm|
|Arrive Southern Cross Station||2.30 pm|
|707 Operations Newport Depot||3.20 pm|
For those joining us at our Newport Depot (off Champion Rd) there is plenty of free parking.
To download Farewell to Murrayville Tour flyer click here.
To Book Tickets click here.
Revised: 19 July 2017